Rich star Snippets sometimes referred to as Rich results, are typical Google search results with additional data displayed during a search of your website. The extra data gets extracted from Structured Data found in an HTML of a page. Commonly the Rich Snippets include reviews, recipes, events, etc. We often see the result of rich snippets as:
- Star ratings
- Events and event times
- Embedded site search box
Rich snippets can not directly affect the ranking of the website. It helps to generate indirect Search Engine Optimization benefits by making your page more easily unique by providing accurate and targeted metadata.
Rich snippets tend to have a higher click-through rate. People are more likely to click on those snippets. If the click-through rate of a snippet increases, it will result in getting more traffic by that search result. As by adding those rich snippets will attract more visitors to your website. Note that the SEO position doesn’t get directly affected during the process of adding rich snippets. Rich snippets can be useful for various sites such as review websites, event, cooking and recipe, photography, sports, listing, news, blogs, etc.
Let’s talk about adding rich snippets to your WordPress website. WordPress is a well-known blogging software along with a framework for web development — an open-source Content Management System(CMS) having software in Hypertext language (pre-processor) PHP. WordPress is used for creating your blogging website for an affordable cost, also for a beginner, it is free of charge.
For adding rich snippets to your WordPress website, you need to add structured data to your website pages. There are in total of two ways of adding rich snippets; one is using WordPress plugin and without using the plugin, i.e.,
- WP SEO Structured Data Schema
Nowadays, Schema and structured data are becoming more important for search engine optimization. The implementation of structured data and Schema is very complicated.
WP SEO Structured Data Schema plugin makes it way easier for adding rich snippet code. The pro version created for client websites has various features like Auto-fill function <—Popular, Supports Custom Post Types beyond default page and posts, Supports WordPress Multisite, Supports more schema types for Books, Courses, Job Postings, Movies, Music, Food Recipe, TV Episodes, etc.
There are different types of the structured data format:
- MicroData based on HTML.
- RFD’a based on HTML.
- JSON-LD based on Java.
WordPress SEO structured data schema uses JSON-LD as it has many advantages over others. It is less invasive for the coding purpose; google can read/ understand the code; it is the layman’s latest language.
Schema plugin includes a Schema markup code (semantic vocabulary) that one can put on your website to help the SEO to return more informative results for visitors. This plugin makes Schema not only suitable for SEO optimization but also informative to users. We can also use the schema plugin with others:
- Yoast Search Engine Optimization
- AMP plugin
- Accelerated Mobile Pages: AMP for WP
- WP Rich Snippets
- The Search Engine Optimization Framework
- Visual Composer
- Thirsty Affiliates
- The Schema for WooCommerce extension.
- Easy Digital Downloads (EDD)
The premium version of Schema has some extra features for optimization available at some cost. The key features of the standard Schema are:
- Easy to use, set, and forget it having minimal settings.
- Support for different schema.org types.
- Enable Schema types at once per post type or post category.
- Enable Schema types anywhere you want on your site content.
- Integration: Customize source data of schema.org properties.
- Valid markup, test it in Google Structured Data Testing Tool.
- Output JSON-LD format, the most recommended by Google.
- Reusing the data saved in post meta, created by other plugins.
- It is extensible means you can extend its functionality using different plugins, extensions, or within your Theme’s functions.php files!
The themes supported by Schema are Genesis 2.x, Thesis 2.x, Divi. According to the information, we can say that schema.org contains a large amount of collection available for raising your standards. Let’s dig deeper to know more about structural data types. Adding structured data to your blogs, news, and sports article website can enhance your appearance in the results of Google Search. Enhanced features of the structural data include Top stories carousel, host carousel, Visual stories, and rich result features like headline text and larger than thumbnail images.
Types like AMP and Non-AMP can get combined with structured data. Non-AMP with structured data increases the probability of the article to appear at the top in google search. After adding the snippet code to include rich snippets, we can also test the outcome before finally posting it officially. The screenshot of the example code getting tested is:
The review after using the WP SEO:
- Looks incredible
- The plugin is maintained! Unlike many other plugin extensions.
- WP supports reviews, recipes, and most data types.
- Various rating systems.
- Easily compatible with other plugins or new PHP versions.
- WP have lightweight and fast speed.
- Supports user reviews along with unlimited domain usage when used with the pro version.
- Pro version comes with amazing 16 pre-styled designs.
Some of the critical reviews for All in one Schema:
- Hosting Looks uninteresting.
- Does not support the user reviews
- There are limited customization options available.
- Can’t get the rating in point(numbers like 3.5, 4.5).
The critical review for WP includes:
- No guided support
- No plugin updates almost for two years.
- It isn’t compatible with PHP 7 or higher
- WP does not support even the rich snippets.
- Useful/Impressive add-ons need to be purchased separately
The whole article about adding the rich snippet to the regular website or WordPress website will help to increase the knowledge. Also hoping that the readers must get a clear picture of what rich snippets are and how they can be added to your website. Let’s end this session here :p