WMI Provider Host taking High CPU Usage on Windows 8 and Windows 10
Nowadays most of the people use Windows 10, but they don’t know What WMI is and why WmiPrvSE process takes high usage of the CPU. So this article is for all those users who want to know what is the purpose of this process and why it takes High CPU usage so Let’s get started!
Many users have reported their issue such as “WMI Provider Host” Occupies Much more resources in the background to update the system files. It also may degrade the performance of the Computer. So first Let’s see what WMI is!
What is the purpose of WMI Provider Host?
WMI – Windows Management Instrumentation(WMI), WMI Provider that provides some set of specifications by Microsoft to Consolidate the Application’s Management in a network. It holds the information about a local or remote computer system to the users.
Window host management or WmiPrvSE process is a Windows Host Management Process that is used by the developers to monitoring it. It is an essential service because some of the Application can’t run without this service. As you stop this service, then some of the essential features of the Computer become useless, and the main point is that you will even not get the notification of this error!
This service is the main for the enterprise as it helps them to manage the computers centrally; the information that is provided by this service is requested with the help of the various scripts. Although in local PC, Some software in your PC also may require various information regarding the System through WMI interface. It is also helpful to find the information regarding the System such as a Serial number of the PC, Model Number of the Motherboard, Status of the Hard drive and many more.
Various Services Provided by the WMI
It Provides many services configuration such as Security Setting, To set or change the permission of the authorized users, Change or set some of the System properties, scheduling the specif process at a particular time, Enable or Disable the Error Logging, To assign or change the value of a drive label, Back up the repository of the object etc,
Why is the WMI using High CPU Usage?
Normally, WMI Host Provider doesn’t use higher usage of the CPU. It will only use the CPU when any Script or software demands some of the information via WMI service. In this case, High usage is just a sign that one software is seeking for the information via WMI Interface.
Here Note that High usage of the CPU by WMI for a long time is the sign that something is wrong, As WMI Provider Host doesn’t hold the CPU resources for a long time.
You have to fix this error by below steps to remove this error,
How to Fix the Problem on WMI Provider Host High CPU Usage?
There are many solutions that we are going to provide you with this article. You can go for any of these solutions.
Method-1: You can Run Virus Scan on Your Computer.
We have seen the Many Cases where the Performance issue of the Computer is also any Virus or Malware. If the same thing occurs to your Computer then, you have to Run the antivirus Software or Program to fix the error.
After Running this Antivirus program, If your Computer found any unnecessary Programs or files that may contain the virus, then you have to Delete those files from your computer. Then, don’t forget to restart your computer.
Method-2: You can Restart the WMI Provider Host Service on Windows 10
- Press the Window Key + R Simultaneously that will launch the Run Command, In that Type Services.msc and hit the Enter.
- From the given services, Find the Windows Management Instrumentation and press on Restart
- Now, Reboot your computer and check if your System contains the same error or not. If it contains the same error, then you should restart the other services related to the WMI Provider Host as given below.
Method-3: You can Restart All other WMI Provider Host Related Services
- Press Window key + X Simultaneously and select Command Prompt(Admin) or Type cmd.exe in search options and open command prompt then choose Run as administrator.
- Now, In the Command Prompt, type following command as given below and press the Enter after each command without fail.
- net stop iphlpsvc
- net stop wscsvc
- net stop Winmgmt
- net start Winmgmt
- net start wscsvc
- net start iphlpsvc
- Now, you can Restart the Computer and check if the WMI Provider Host or WmiPrvSE high usage of the CPU error is still there or not.
Method-4: You can Boot your PC into the Safe Mode with Networking
- Press Window Logo Key + R Simultaneously and type msconfig in the search box and hit the Enter.
- Now, Go to the Boot Tab and tick the option of safe Boot and select the radio button of Network. Now click on the “Apply” and click “OK” to save all the changes.
- Firstly, Make sure that all the files and data that are on your Computer are saved and then click on the Restart to enter the Safe Mode.
- After that, When you are on safe mode, press Window Logo Key + R at a time and choose Windows PowerShell(Admin)
- Then Afterwards Type the following command and press the Enter. msdt.exe -id MaintenanceDiagnostic
- Now, you will see one Popup window that shows the troubleshooting and click “Next” to Run Troubleshooting. If it detects any problem in your System, then follow the instruction as they were shown, to repair it.
- Now in the PowerShell window type the following command and hit the Enter. msdt.exe /id PerformanceDiagnostic Now, you will see one Popup window that shows Performance troubleshooting and clicks “Next” to Continue the troubleshooting.
- Afterwards, If you found any notification such as “Something needs to be changed in your System”, then do follow as the System says to you to do.
- After these troubleshooting process, you need to boot the Computer into the Normal mode. To do that you have to repeat step-1 and go to Boot Tab and Uncheck the option of safe Boot. Then click on “Apply” and press “OK” to Save. Afterwards, Restart the Computer into the Normal Mode.
Method-5: You can Uninstall the Components and Drivers that cause the Problem
- Press Window Logo Key + X simultaneously and open the Event Viewer.
- Click on the view button that you can see on the top of the menu and click on the Show Analytic and Debug Logs.
- On the left panel of your Computer, Go to the Applications and Service Logs > Microsoft > Windows > WMI Activity > Operational log. Now Note those items that listed as an error.
- Now again, Press Window Logo Key and X at the same time but open Task Manager.
- Click on the Service tab and find the process with the Matching ID as we have seen in Event Viewer In PID column. When you find those processes, then “Uninstall” them or “Disable” them.
Faulty Components or faulty drivers also contain the WMI High usage CPU error, so it is better to remove that. It is essential to download or install the drivers from a Trustworthy source!
So, these were the several methods to solve the error of High usage of the CPU that holds the resources of the WMI-Windows Management Instrumentation. If you had the same error in your PC, Then we hope that this article has helped you to remove the error. If you have any other approaches or anything that have helped you to solve this error, then Let us know in the comment section below. Thank You!